Bob Bailey - Down Under Tour 2017 - Qld
A few words from Bob about Bob
I describe myself as a behavioral-systems analyst and engineer, small-businessman, field biologist, animal trainer, and teacher, not necessarily in that order. My early years in the 1940s were spent trekking the Southern California desert collecting and studying animals. At UCLA (B.S. Biology and Chemistry) in the 1950s, I was a teaching and research assistant, studying animals in the Southwestern USA and Mexico, SCUBA diving for California Fish and Game, and surfing the California beaches. My behavior conditioning (training) experience at UCLA included crows, coyotes, and kangaroo rats in the wild, and captive cephalopods, amphibians, fishes, and reptiles.
After the US Army, I was a biochemist, (UCLA School of Medicine), and a Field Biologist (California Department of Fish and Game). I then became the US Navy Marine Mammal Program’s first Director of Training at Pt. Mugu, California, and conducted the Navy’s first open-ocean program. In 1965 I joined Animal Behavior Enterprises (ABE), in Hot Springs, Arkansas. In 1943, Keller and Marian Breland founded ABE as the first commercial enterprises using B.F. Skinner’s then newly described operant conditioning. Keller Breland died in 1965. In 1968, I became ABE’s General Manager and Chief Operating Officer. ABE’s business was worldwide in scope, and I directed the activities of 50 full-time and 50 part-time employees. Marian Breland and I married in 1976. ABE was at the forefront of developing and employing various behavioral and hardware technologies when training animals and teaching animal trainers for commerce, zoological parks, the military and police, and other governmental agencies. ABE produced animal shows for major theme parks, created TV commercials (Buck Bunny, the banking rabbit is the longest running animal commercial in USA), and trained animals for theatrical productions. ABE personnel trained over 140 species and more than 15,000 individual animals. ABE continued operations until 1990, when we closed our doors. Marian and I continued to teach. Marian died in 2001. I have continued to teach and consult for companies and government agencies worldwide. I was awarded the Doctor of Science Degree (Sc.D. with full academic rank, equivalent to Ph.D.) from the University of Central Arkansas in 2013 for my work in physics, chemistry, biology and psychology, and for my research and development of training programs and hardware for biological systems.
SEMINAR INFO & REGISTRATION FORM
This is an interactive PDF that should give you the option of printing the form, filling it in by hand (don't forget the last page) and scanning and emailing back.... or completing the interactive PDF (with digital signature), saving and emailing that back.
This is certainly an awesome opportunity for us all and I look forward to seeing you there.
Seminar Information 25 - 27 March 2017
• Session times as listed with seminar information.
• The organisers and/or Bob may nominate which dogs will work the session or exercise Monday.
• The organisers will arrange video of Handlers working a dog and (if desired) will provide that video for their personal use only. This may not be shared anywhere.
• Absolutely no other photography or video of any sessions. Please note you will be asked to leave if you do not comply with this request.
Venue: Mt Gravatt Bowls Club
Function Room, 1873 Logan Rd, Upper Mount Gravatt 4122
• Please see the seminar booking form.
• Please refer to our Terms and Conditions of Entry/Participation
Camping/Accommodation: Is not available at the Seminar Venue.
Food/Drinks: Water, tea and coffee, lunch, morning and afternoon tea will be provided.
Auditors and Handlers with Dogs
• Handlers with Dogs will be very limited.
• For the benefit of those attending, and/or due to venue capacity, the total number of attendees will be limited.
• Whilst order of receipt of nominations will be taken into account, seminar places will not necessarily be allocated on a first come-first served basis.
• Payment in full required in order to accept your registration. Payments may be made via direct deposit (preferred), cheque or cash. If you are requesting a Handler with Dog position, please pay $375-00 at time of registration. Balance ($125-00) will be required within 24 hours of being advised your request has been accepted.
Dogs at the Seminars
• Please note that dogs may not, at any time, be left tied up. Dogs may be on-lead with their handler, or will be required to be crated, when they are not working.
• Additional dog(s) that have not been registered to work the sessions, may not, under any circumstances, be brought to the seminar.
• In the interests of all present, dogs that continually bark will need to be removed from the premises.
These requirements will be enforced.
"Make the Change"
(25, 26 & 27 March 2017 9.00 am to 5.00 pm)
Topic Details: Bob will present on a variety of topics that pertain to principles and procedures of effective animal training. Bob has worked with 140 different species, so he has something to offer everyone interested in training animals. Learn some of the theory, and practice, that sits behind all training. You will also get to see a small number of handlers with dogs allow themselves to be in the spotlight, training and growing new behaviours. Bob will ask questions and provide suggestions as the trainer/handler determines what they should do and why, and then sets about doing it.
Please note this seminar will NOT deal with specific sports issues/behaviours, ie is not a “how to teach my dog to....” session.
Prerequisite for Handlers with Dogs: Timid, fearful, or highly aggressive dogs are not suitable for working spots. Handlers and dogs will be in the spotlight and need to be able to deal with feedback and coaching in front of the group. Handlers with dogs are committing to participate for all three days.
To obtain further information contact
Cathy Slot on 0448 815 135 or by email to Cathy
Bob will also be giving workshops in
NSW - 31 March - 2 April 2017
Vic - 7 - 9 April 2017
NZ - 14 - 16 April 2017
SA - 21 - 22 April 2017
Shopping cart software by ezimerchant